Be sure you’ve got the following basic computer skills for this class.
WordPress is easy, about as easy as something can be that’s so powerful and flexible. But there are some computer skills you will need.
- Saving files to to your hard drive.
- Finding those files you’ve saved to your hard drive.
- Being good at and knowing the difference between Copying and Pasting and Cutting and Pasting.
- Navigating between multiple windows.
- Going straight to a website by typing the web address in the browser address bar.
- Opening up new tabs in your browser and navigating between tabs.
Note to Students: I don’t slow down the class if someone doesn’t have the above skills.
Hi Scott, I’ve registered for the WordPress class at CGCC, starting in June. I believe I have the prerequisite skills, although I have a question for you. Will we be using PCs or Macs? Or do we use our own laptops?
Hi! All the computers in the computer lab have Windows. Though it doesn’t matter since everything is done through the browser, and that’s pretty much the same despite the operating system. But you’re more than welcome to bring your laptop. You can plug it in and you’ll be good to go.
In that case, I’ll use what’s there. I’m not as familiar with PCs or Windows, and in the past, have had problems because of my inexperience, but I’ve maxed out the updates on my Mac laptop and it’s still not up to speed…I plan on replacing it soon, but not before the class begins.
I’ll muddle through the best I can with the lab computers! Thanks.
I’ll help you get your browser up and running, and then there’s no difference. WordPress itself is independent of the operating system since it’s running on the server, not on the local computer. It’s actually running on a Linux operating system.
Sounds good. Thanks!