Here’s the homework you’ll get when you sign up for the nightly homework email.
If you need any help logging in, feel free to call/email me.
Note: If you can’t find the login link, go to www.hammock-test-site.com/testXX/wp-admin (Swap in your number for XX)
Login to your Dashboard > Appearance > Menu > Add Post Categories to your menu > Save
View your site and click on one of your Post Categories on your Menu.
Dashboard > Pages > Click on the checkbox beside Title > Bulk Actions > Edit > Apply > Change Comments to Do Not Allow > Update
Crop an image you want to use for a Post so that the Crop Dimensions are 2:3 (or whatever proportion you want to consistently use).
Use this as the Featured Image for a Post. You’ll find Featured Image below where you set Categories in a Post. It’s a good idea to have a Featured Image for every Post. It’s the Featured Image that shows up in the Post Feed.
1. Make sure you have a Page called Blog, or News, or Announcements. On that page, type the following: DO NOT EDIT THIS PAGE.
2. Create a Page that you want to be your homepage, or Front Page as WordPress calls it.
3. Click on Settings > Reading > Click on “A static page (select below)” at the top > select your Front Page and Posts Page > Save Changes.
1. Find the answer to this question.
2. Put a video on a Post or Page that starts automatically. (Remember to paste the code in the Text View.)
1. Go to www.hammock.net.
2. Search for screenshot.
3. Follow the instructions for capturing a screenshot.
4. Send me a screenshot of a Page or Post you’re having trouble with.
That’s it for today.
At some point, you’re going to want to be able to email your customers, prospects, or fans. The sooner you get started getting set up for this, the better. By the way, MailChimp sent you this email.
1. Search for MailChimp in Plugins and install the one created by MailChimp. (And activate it.)
2. Drag the new Widget you have (found in Appearances > Widgets) over to your sidebar.
3. Try configuring it. If you get stuck, we’ll do this in class.
If you’re using a custom Menu
1. Create a new Page but don’t add it to your menu. Only you will know about it.
If you’re using the default Menu
1. Create a new Page.
2. Above the Publish/Update button, you’ll see something called Visibility. Click on Edit.
3. Set the Page to Private. Then only you will be able to see it when you’re logged in. If someone isn’t logged in, they won’t be able to see it.